no one ever believes me but my rightful place is in the kitchen.
upon first mention of my culinary passion, most people act like i have just announced that i am a six-foot-five NBA shooting guard. like, it just can’t happen.
if you really wanna know, i have cooked my family’s entire holiday spreads for the past six years- and i have loved (almost) every minute of it. nothing makes me happier than planning my menu weeks ahead, then sneaking off to the kitchen to get started over coffee (read: wine) on the dishes that i hope will have my family cooing all night.
my love of cooking extends beyond christmas dinner and a thanksgiving feast so i thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite recipes. first in line, this insanely delicious foolproof meal that i discovered from the talented budget bytes. i made it over the weekend and have already told four people about it!
curried chickpeas with spinach over rice
- one can of chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- curry powder to taste- the stronger the better
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- one can of tomato sauce
- one small onion
- handful of fresh spinach
- choice of grain- white or brown rice, barley
- add diced onion, minced garlic and grated ginger to pan with olive oil. saute for 3-5 minutes
- stir in curry powder, s/p to taste along with a little water to avoid lumps (this step smells extremely incredible!)
- add spinach and let wilt for 1-2 minutes
- drain and rinse chickpeas and add to mixture with tomato sauce. let thicken for 7-10 minutes
- serve over rice and prepare to fall in love :)
cooking, whether it’s a pb+j or a five-course meal, is so damn good for the soul. can’t wait to share more of my dishes.